Kids are fond of myths and fairy tales. Every time I ate ham with my father, I was very happy.
Father told me “Ham comes from the dragon. It is a dragon.” And so I was filled with awe. I thought I could be stronger and have powers because I ate ham and a dragon that blows fire. “Could I blow fire?”
Cartoons on television like “Mighty Thor (god of thunder and rain), and some flying horses and genies (spirits believed by Muslims) inspired me and made me curious to see what’s in the other world. Growing up with old people and their stories made me see the world as magical, beautiful and full of challenges. The heroes in fiction and myths help people understand that the good always triumphed, and that without courage, man could not get to his dreams and goals in life.
Imagining what’s inside Pandora’s Box and glass castles, and zooming in carpets that fly make life bigger for kids. In the progress of culture, those stories come even bigger for games, and cinema’s adult audience like “XMen, Superman, Avatar (2010), Ragnarok, and Gotterdammerung (Twilight of the Gods), among others.
Check this out. Myth Gods
1. hydra-headed means hard to eliminate or destroyed; the lesson is applied to a condition or an evil which apparently put down in one place and springs up in another; many branches, multifarious
One of the twelve labors of Hercules, was the killing of the Hydra – a water monster with nine heads
2. Janus-faced, Januslike (Roman god of beginnings and also of portals and doors, represented with 2 faces looking in opposite directions
“Respice, Adspice, Prospice,” means “Look upon the past, look at the present, look to the future.”
Janus-faced can also mean looking in two directions, meaning versatile or two-faced meaning deceitful
3. Pandora’s Box According to Greek Mythology, Pandora was the first woman. In Paradise Lost, Milton tells how she received her name.
Pan means all and dora means gifts.
A Pandora’s box must not be opened. Every god has contributed a gift to make Pandora a perfect being, but there was one box which she was warned not to open (a source of all evil), but unable to curb her curiosity, she did open it.
Avatar is a film by James Cameron that showed a Planet Pandora in a fiction story. A blockbuster film in 2010, surpassing Titanic.
4. Stygian netherworld, implies gloom and darkness
5. Titan (ic) children of heaven and earth, were deities of tremendous strength who fought with Zeus but were vanquished
A Titan is any giant in any field of endeavor (used to call someone with outstanding ability)
6. Adonis A young shepherd, beloved by Aphrodite (Venus); extremely handsome
7. Amazon a strong woman; female warriors
8. ambrosia Ambrosia meaning “deathless”; was the food of the gods. It is usually coupled with nectar (divine drink); thus, an expression: “ambrosia and nectar” (a dish fit for the gods)
9.argus-eyed vigilant, all observant; Argus was a monster with many eyes; some of which never close
10. protean changing, varying, versatile
Rosalinda Flores - Martinez, 2010
Click to read my poems on www.poemhunter.com
February 6, 2010 FAITH, LOVE, TIME AND DR. LAZARO By: Greg Brillantes From the upstairs veranda, Dr. Lazaro had a view of stars, the...
January 11, 2010 Desire by Paz Latorena She was homely. A very broad forehead gave her face an unpleasant, masculine look. Her eyes, ...
May 6, 2010 Story: Faith, Love, Time and Dr. Lazaro by Greg Brillantes Pagsasalin: Paniniwala, Pag-big, Panahon at Si Dr. Lazaro Mu...